Collecting Your Sample - Prometheus Patient Public Site
Everything you need is provided
Prometheus has created a convenient kit to make it easy to collect your stool sample.
The PROMETHEUS® IBcause™ Diagnostic Test kit comes with everything you need. In addition to the necessary tools and step-by-step instructions, you will also receive:
- Professional telephone support from Prometheus, if you need it
- Access to the Prometheus Online portal to review your test results
Have any questions? Call us at 888-423-5227, Option 1.
What’s included in the IBcause stool kit
- 1 Instruction Guide
- 1 Prepaid FedEx® Shipping Label already adhered to the box
- 1 Patient Information Card (to fill out after you’ve collected your stool sample)
- 2 pairs of disposable Gloves
- 2 Paper Toilet Liners with adhesive strips (you will only use 1 Paper Toilet Liner for testing; the other is provided in the event of breakage/damage)
- 1 Stool Sample Container with Plastic Scoop and Resealable Plastic Bag
- 1 NanoCool® Cooling Pack
- 1 Small Gel Pack that should NOT be removed from the box
Before collecting your stool sample
Choose your collection day
- Pick a weekday where you can both:
- — Collect and package your stool sample without rushing
- — Ship your stool sample the same day you collect it
Stool samples cannot be shipped on weekends or holidays—so plan accordingly.
Prepare to collect your sample
- Remove the IBcause kit items
- Place needed items near the toilet for easy access
Find a local Fedex®
- You must drop off your stool sample (or schedule a Fedex® pickup) the same day you collect it
- A prepaid shipping label has already been adhered to the box
Your stool sample can only be shipped via FedEx®.
Instruction for Collecting Your Stool Sample
Instructions for collecting your stool sample
Before collecting your stool sample, read these step-by-step instructions:
Step 1. Prep the toilet
Step 1 Content
Before your bowel movement, attach the Paper Toilet Liner to your toilet bowl.
Lift the toilet seat and wipe the toilet bowl rim (with dry toilet paper or a paper towel) until dry.
- The Paper Toilet Liner will not stick to a wet surface
First, remove protective tape covering from the CENTER BACK FLAP.
Then, adhere the flap to the back of the toilet bowl (sticky side down).
Remove protective tape coverings from the 2 REAR FLAPS. Now adhere the flaps to the top of the toilet bowl rim, allowing the center area of the liner to hang just inside the toilet in a “cup” shape.
- The Paper Toilet Liner should never touch the toilet water. If this occurs, use the second liner provided
- When adhered correctly, the liner will have a “cup” shape. There should also be enough room in front of the secured liner to discard soiled toilet paper into the bowl after your bowel movement
Remove protective tape coverings from the 2 FRONT FLAPS and adhere to the top of the toilet bowl rim.
Once the Paper Toilet Liner is secured, lower the toilet seat. You are now ready to collect your stool sample.
You must ship your stool sample the same day it is collected.
Have any questions? Call us at 888-423-5227, Option 1.
Step 2. Collecting your stool sample
Step 2 Content
Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water.
Remove the Stool Sample Container from the Resealable Plastic Bag.
- Set aside nearby
Have a bowel movement.
- When collecting your stool, it is best to avoid contact with toilet water and/or urine
- Leave the Paper Toilet Liner in place (you will collect your stool sample while it is attached)
- Do not place soiled toilet paper on the liner (discard through the opening in front of the liner or use the trash) and do not flush the toilet until after you have collected your sample
Put on provided disposable Gloves.
Unscrew the Stool Sample Container lid. Do not unscrew small white screw cap (for laboratory use only).
- Use the attached scoop to collect the stool sample
Place your stool sample into the Stool Sample Container. Fill with a minimum of 30 mL of stool (clearly marked on container side), typically 1 to 2 scoops.
Screw the lid on tightly.
- Do not contaminate the outside surface of the Stool Sample Container (if soiled, wipe clean with a paper towel)
- Do not reopen the Stool Sample Container once it is closed
Insert the Stool Sample Container back into the Resealable Plastic Bag.
Make sure the bag is sealed completely.
First, flush once to dispose of soiled toilet paper. Then, remove the Paper Toilet Liner and flush a second time.
- Flushing the toilet twice is suggested to ensure disposal
- Remove and discard Gloves in the trash
Fill out the provided Patient Information Card. Now you are ready to pack and ship your sample.
You must pack the Sample Container immediately (in order to keep it cool), finish packing all components, and ship on the same day you collect your sample.
Important Do's and Don'ts
Important do’s and don’ts
Important Do's and Don'ts Content
- Do attach the Paper Toilet Liner in advance for ease of use
- Do ensure the Paper Toilet Liner is secured to the toilet bowl
- Do wear the provided disposable Gloves when collecting your stool sample
- Do ship the same day that your stool sample is collected
- Do place the Patient Information Card in the box before shipping
- Do review the Checklist label
- Don’t collect a firm stool sample (only loose stool should be collected)
- Don’t let the Paper Toilet Liner touch the toilet water
- Don’t collect your stool sample from the toilet water; collect from the Paper Toilet Liner only
- Don’t contaminate the outside surface of the Stool Sample Container (if soiled, wipe clean with a paper towel)
- Don’t activate the NanoCool® Cooling Pack until you have collected your stool sample
- Don’t bring the kit back to your doctor’s office or laboratory; you must ship it via FedEx® for testing
- Don’t remove the Small Gel Pack from the box
Step 3: Packing and shipping your stool sample
Step 3 Content
Write your sample collection date and time on the Stool Requisition Form, if you were given one.
Remove the NanoCool® Cooling Pack from the box. Flip it over and place foil side down on a hard, flat, and clean surface.
- Do not place White Activator Button side down
Remove Foam Activator Button Protector and dispose of it.
- White Activator Button should be visible
Press Activator Button.
- Use moderate force (do not use an object to press down)
After about 20 seconds, the NanoCool® Cooling Pack will start to cool.
- To confirm cooling has begun, touch the NanoCool® Cooling Pack surface near the Activator Button
- NanoCool® logo should turn blue
Pack the Stool Sample Container on top of the Small Gel Pack adhered to the bottom of the box.
Now place the NanoCool® Cooling Pack into the box with the Activator Button face down and foil side up.
Then place Patient Information Card on top of the NanoCool® Cooling Pack.
- If you were given a Stool Requisition Form, place it on top of the NanoCool® Cooling Pack
- Please refer to the checklist located on the inside lid of the box
- If everything has been completed, you are ready to seal the box
Peel the tape strip on the edge of the box, tuck in the side flaps, and then press down on the front of the box to secure.
- Press firmly to ensure box is sealed
Take your box to a FedEx® shipping station or schedule a pickup and you’re done!
Remember: Your stool sample can only be shipped with FedEx®. Stool samples cannot be shipped on weekends or holidays—so plan accordingly.
Getting Your Results
Getting your results
Getting your results content
Your doctor will most likely review your test results with you either in person, or over the phone. Then you will be able to view them at the Prometheus Online portal. But first, you will need to create an account, which takes only a minute or 2. You can do it right now if you already have your kit.